Here is a list of 26 questions, some silly, some serious that encourage conversation:
1. If you wrote a book, what would you name the main character and where would he/she go?
2. What is your favorite thing to do?
3. If you could design a t-shirt, what would you draw or write on it?
4. What was your favorite part of your day?
5. What is your favorite memory about being ___ years old?
6. If the story of YOU became a movie, how would the movie end?
7. Do you have any jokes to tell me?
8. What’s the funniest thing you saw today/this week?
9. How would you describe a perfect day for you?
10. If you had an airplane to take you on vacation right now, where would you want to go and who would you take with you?
11. If you could have any animal in the world as a pet, what would it be?
12. If you could change anything about school what would it be?
13. If you could change anything in the world, what would you change and how?
14. Who is your favorite tv/book/story character and what do you like about him/her?
15. If you could eat lunch with (insert favorite character’s name) where would you go and what would you eat together?
16. If you could wake up tomorrow with a superpower, what superpower would you want to have?
17. If you could have any 3 wishes granted, what would they be?
18. If all your clothes could only be one color, what color would you choose?
19. If you could change the lunch menu at (school/home) what would you change?
20. What is your biggest dream?
21. What is your biggest worry?
22. If you could change your name, would you want to and what name would you choose instead?
23. What are you proudest of in your life?
24. Where is your favorite place to be?
25. What is something you never thought you could tell me but maybe want to tell me now?
26. Is there anything you have always wanted to ask me but didn’t? Do you want to ask me now?