Play group games
- Chess, checkers, scrabble, any number of games can be downloaded on your phone/tablet to play while you chat
Tell a story / Write a story with your child
- This activity allows them to creatively tell how they’re feeling.
- Write your story down in a Word document or notebook or use the Story Starter generator to start a story then take turns creating a sentence
Mail a letter or card to your kiddo
- Include the story you’ve written
- Send a piece of candy or stickers in the envelope
- Use your home printer and include a fun picture of you at home, your pet, or an item that connects the two of you
Picture of the day challenge
- With permission, email or text the foster placement a picture or link to a video. Include a short story or reason about why you thought of your CASA kid when you took the picture/saw the video
- This reminds your CASA kiddo you’re thinking of them and can start a conversation when you video chat
Read a book together
- Have your children read books to you! Even board books where a younger child can make a story that goes with the pictures
- Or try Novel Effect: as you read out loud from print books (or ebooks!) music, sound effects, and character voices play at just the right moment, adjusting and responding to your voice.
Have a coloring match
- Use the same color canyon for one minute, then let the other side pick… Go through the whole range of colors.
Get out the joke books!
- Take time telling riddles and jokes to each other.
Build parts of a Lego city
- Talk about building a piece of the city at the same time- one builds a barber shop and the other the post office
Share a snack
- Go through and count those gummy bears while also identifying their colors.
- Talk about nutrition with older kids.
- Design a silly veggie face and share!
Challenge yourselves to play a game
- If each side has the same game, you can move your partner along too.
- Or try UNO and play together.
- What about Clue?
- There’s always a way to play games in a new fashion.
- Pictionary and Charades are always a hit!
Share music and have a dance off
- Can you DJ your favorite song and bust out some cool moves? Have fun and laugh while getting some exercise!
Ask them to share their day but use sound effects and different voices.
- Let them choose to talk like a vampire and discuss their last meal! Done well, this one’s a gut buster!
Use Facetime/Tango/Facebook Messenger to video chat with your child
- Use fun filters and settings to play a game/keep their attention
Try being the BEST listener
- Lean in, ask open-ended questions (like “Tell me the best part of your day” or Tell me more about that”) and don’t give any advice.
- They know when you’re really listening.
- Be excited about what they have to say!